Friday, June 13, 2008

cloudy, cool, aimless

Camp continues. Today was the Mr. Camp competition to match the Ms.
Camp competition last week. There were introductions, physical tests,
dancing, cooking questions and questions about how the modern husband
should act. I am not all here today, too much sleep combined with no
running (decided that the weekend in Kyiv combined with the upcoming
days in Krakow are a great excuse not to run for a few weeks, and
already my Achilles feels better, although I am starting to feel fat
and lazy. Should I go to soccer practice today? If I don't, I might
be really rusty for the game on Sunday) has left me with lights on and
nobody home. And then today there was really nothing to do. After
the morning game show thing, there was lunch, then a break dance
competition. Now I'm sitting around trying to get internet to send in
my lesson plans for the upcoming camp and see if Nina-Claire managed
to get off the plane on their Prague layover. Their plan was to only
have carryon baggage so they could make their Europe loop by arriving
in Prague and departing from Budapest even though their tickets were
round trip NYC-Budapest.
I cut my shin on a plow yesterday while crossing the river Rata in
the back of a bumpy horse drawn wagon while 18-wheelers and old soviet
cars sped around us on the narrow bridge. Distracted by truck
threatening to overrun us from behind, I lost my balance and fell into
the horse-drawn-plow which was sharing the back of the wagon with me.
Whodathought plows were so sharp. No pain on my soccer hardened shin,
but the blood started pouring immediately. I could see the bone as
Ira cleaned the cut when I arrived at Ukrainian tutoring. It stopped
bleeding overnight, but now has started to trickle again, down my leg
and into my shoe.
Just today I learned that I will miss a tour of the local castles
with the 7th grade class because I will be in Krakow next week. The
planning may happen ahead of time, but I never find out things until
right before they happen. I didn't even know there were castles
around here. Ok, maybe I'll try the internet again.