Thursday, April 17, 2008

to be continued...

It's amazing when someone asks me what I think and I have so many things to say that I can't organize them at all.  That's what I feel like right now.  What's the point of even starting, there are so many things to say.  Our little group of local English teachers met today and I found myself with too many things to say on a few different topics. 

            Who is responsible for teaching critical thinking?  Our district methodologist brought a sample of what future tests will look like.  Not only were the writing essay topics interesting, but they required independent and creative thought.  It was pointed out that many of our students would have trouble with these tasks in their native language because they get have little experience synthesizing information to form arguments. 

            I have gotten all sorts of interesting tidbits recently about monetary practice within our school.  First a bit of disclaimer.  There is no way to prove whether these shady activities actually exist, but the fact that there is no transparent system makes almost anything believable.  I report this heresy only to provide some motivation to make monetary transactions transparent, and to urge greater public scrutiny of all public institutions.

            First, I hear…