Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August 18th

Ok, almost have windows re-installed on my laptop (notebook in ukrainian).  Next will be microsoft office, then a slow filling out of other programs, since I have to find them all on cd. I was an idiot when I was trying to reorganize stuff on the computer that Brooks so kindly donated to me and moved some files that the computer needed for startup, so it couldn't find them.  Sam even warned me as I was doing it not to mess with it if I didn't know what it was.  Oh well, now I have more incentive to learn Russian since both the operating system and the whole office suite is in Russian.

 

I'm most excited to be able to watch movies, but being able to type lesson plans and generally have things organized in documents/folders. It's odd how I'm more likely to write stuff down if it's on a computer because my typing is so much faster than my penmanship. I hope the computer doesn't distract me from my violin.

 

The students and I who will attempt to start a trash cleanup program on the banks of our river. Ideally we'll get trash cans and an agreement with the city to empty them. Then we'll organize 3 cleanups a year combined with me teaching environmental lessons in the school and facebook/vkontakte groups. Doing a community project is not easy, but doing something is far better than only planning and talking. I can't wait to get started.

 

My spork broke. Curtis won't stop making fun of how his is titanium and still whole while mine is plastic and now in two pieces.

 

Thank you brooks, for the computer.

Sam, I miss your fresh perspectives.

I ate too much watermelon.

I need to sleep. Sure wish I could watch the Olympics.