Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August 19th

The phone company which all the other volunteers use and which is half the price of any of the competitors does not work in my new apartment.  Just not enough altitude to get reception a little ways down the hill and on the second instead of fifth floor.  It's also the company which I use to call home, or anywhere international. Today I tried everywhere in my town, even the top of a climbing structure. Looks like I will need to keep looking for a sweet spot, or only use this sweet company when I go up to Chervonograd, down to Lviv, or just about anywhere besides my town.

 

Got to get some community mapping done and design this community survey to further focus our environmental cleanup project. I also am starting to dream big because I saw a truck filled with crushed plastic bottles drive through my town headed south. There has to be recycling somewhere, and that would be a cool thing to get started. I know recycling has some problems, especially plastic recycling, with huge energy costs, harmful air pollution and a poorer quality plastic in the end, but it seems better than the bottles just immediately going to the landfill…ahhem, I mean the pit in the forest or field.

 

I tried to set up physical therapy today, and the lady told me to come back tomorrow. Hmm.  I got to start running, especially without a set schedule right now, I'm falling back into my adolescent habits of staying up real late, sleeping in real late anв getting nothing done till after noon.  Can't waste that kind of daylight, especially since each day is getting so much shorter. Screw the pain, I'm going running tomorrow. I'll ice and stretch and take ibuprofen and just hope that the Achilles tendinitus goes away the same way that the plantar faciitus did. Time.

 

The weather has been beautiful. I'm going to miss this warmth so much in a few months. At least I got my hot water working today. Not that I'll use it for a while since I've come to enjoy a cold shower. Helps save water also. Bed time. It's nice having this computer to get some thoughts out every day. I can't forget about my real journal or violin though. I wonder how long you, the reader, will be able to keep up.  I know that I fell way behind in elo's blog and now don't even have a chance of catching up. So…I need to stop writing.