Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mud Running

I don't plan to push off of each step, but rather to flow over the
ground, keeping my cg's trajectory stable and steady, minimizing all
centrifugal acceleration. Winter should really be called mud season,
as should spring and autumn here. It's not that there are more dirt
roads than NM, it's just the soil type. Perhaps the roads here aren't
prepared, more of just scars in the earth. The mud builds up on my
shoes, flinging off in all directions, slippery, variable in
consistency. When possible I run on the grass next to the trail/road.
Running shoes are getting old again, so road running is not advisable.
Achilles seems to be doing better, but that could just be the complete
absence of soccer.

Working on organizing a huge amount of pedagogical notes and
activities I received onto my flash drive. File names are all messed
up, and some are just silly with the procedures for the lesson plan in
a different pdf than kids part of the lesson plan; Eliminating
duplicates, organizing, planning so that I can apply rimes of great
activities and communicative games to my classroom. Next I will get my
printer working, so that I can print stuff out at home, then copy it
on my way to school, and become a more effective teacher, with
materials to use in my classes. Chalkboards and textbooks are nice,
but kids respect printouts, pictures, cartoons and cards much more.

All this English stuff is nice, but the healthy lifestyles classes
still feel more important. This whole past week was coined "health
week", and kids from many classes made posters about everything from
smoking to chemical spill procedures. My kids of course did HIV/AIDS
posters and effectively plastered the school with little slips of
paper giving examples of how HIV does not transmit. "HIV does not pass
through sweat"; HIV does not pass through spit"; HIV does not….kisses,
hugs, sharing dishes, toilet seats, combs, coughing, phlegm and so on.
Most of the older kids know how it transmits, but it's important to
remember how it doesn't to eliminate fear, stigma and discrimination.