Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Frost

has been covering everything for two days.  It dulls all color, making the grass, trees, cars, and buildings blend in with the grey sky.   It even starts to build on my coat as I walk to school, covering my beard where my breath hits, grabbing and sticking.  The run earlier this morning was cold as usual, but peaceful and pretty.   I ran into some men cutting Christmas trees, who ask me something about what sport I play (because I'm wearing a soccer jersey on the outside), and I just respond by saying I'm going to the Olympics, which gets a good chuckle.   At the beginning of the week I was trying really hard to figure out what to do with myself, not really having any work to do.  Today I have decided just to go with the flow, and enjoy my holidays while they last.   I am sure that I will have plenty of work as soon as classes start in January, and be wishing I was back in my winter holidays.  So the alarm clock has been turned off, I sleep in, watch soccer, write letters, study Ukrainian and generally just keep myself entertained.   I may try to meet some more people in town, especially at the music schools, but the cold weather seems to keep most people inside buildings and pre-established social circles.   I do need to find/buy/construct a music stand, and that will give me a pretense for wandering into the art schools.  Today I can go watch the older kids at their Christmas concert, but I may head home and continue reading Ukrainian children books.