Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The rest of the day after christmas morning…

 

Was always a sort of a let down

The anticipation, present opening, parents off work, all winding down, and realizing that we had to wait another whole year for the next one.   In that way, it was sort of nice that there was no ceremony, no presents, no day off work, no anticipation.

So what did I do on December 25th?  I slept in, all the way to 8, which felt really good, something about sleeping till it's light outside just feels better.   Then I ran through my favorite forest, which I am still discovering, and actually found a small hill, pretty exciting.  I also found out that the signs I see on occasional trees say "no hunting" and "no cutting live wood" rather than what my wild imagination had created over the last couple days about radiation, land mines, human remains, hunting, chemical spills, wolves, and military live fire areas.   I went out intending 4 miles, but somehow got turned around enough that it had been 48 minutes by the time I got back.   I'll call it 6, because although I hav'nt checked my pace in months, I'm pretty sure I hav'nt slipped below the 8 min mark.  Again my beard was super white, covered with frost from my breath.   It has been good to avoid roads, and the stares that I get, although I do understand the spectacle of somebody running (I've only seen one Ukrainian running, in the very western city of L'viv), in tights, with their face covered in ice.

After my run, I made myself musli, really getting addicted to whole milk, so creamy.   Searched the tv for soccer games, wrote a letter in Ukrainian to Vitya (my host brother in Kiyvska oblast), and went to school in time for the 3rd form Yalenka=christmas tree celebration.   Lots of skits, memorized poems, traditional jokes and dancing.  Unfortunately it seems as though the two teachers who had accordians out were largely replaced by recordings of popular music.   Ukrainian pop music reminds me a lot of Mexican music on the radio in New Mexico .  Always a strong beat, sad sounding vocals, simple chord progressions, cheesy key changes, you know.  Not that I don't like it, in moderation.   It just got old the 4th time I heard the same song, or maybe it was different songs that sounded like the same song. That's the problem with pop everywhere.  

I left the concert before it was over to accompany Irena to a tutoring session because this particular student spent two years in the US, and wanted a chance to practice with a native speaker.  In return I got to use their internet, which was the fastest I have used in Ukraine.  Pity I didn't remember to upload pictures.  

Then grocery shopping, showing me where the best stores are for particular items, I'm really sad that she will be on maternity leave for most of my service in Velyki Mosty.   Then this evening I have spent on the phone with family and friends, listening to some good Ukrainian music, and eating печево (cookies).

And why am I writing the longest blog entry ever?   Earlier I had decided to only write on my blog when I was online, and to live in the present when not.  But since I have run out of books, and really don't have any work until the other teachers finish giving and grading final exams, I have decided that it's a form of entertainment, and not prohibiting my community integration in any way.   My host mom and dad are watching tv, and Andre is only home on the weekends, I'm listening to Ukrainian music, more of which I understand since learning озеро слиз (the lake of tears). 

And the last thing to mention before going to bed is my prowd new occupance of an office in the school.   Not very many teachers have there own office, and while mine is small, it is beautifully decorated with drawings and piantings which spilled over from the art class next door.   I hope the other teachers are not jealous, but I think they enjoy the social atmosphere of the teachers room. Actually I might try to spend time there myself to try to be more in tune with the teachers I will be working with.   It is really nice to have a place to keep my materials, and do planning in quite and focused environment.  I always like keeping work separate from my living space, so this will allow me to continue that trend.  

The days are getting longer and each day brings new surprises.   Seepy time.