Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Who needs sleep

I had a great weekend, finally deciding to reciprocate and invite some
of the families to my apartment that had invited me over the holidays.
Not only great to see people, make friends, practice language, but
also provided incentive to give my apartment a thorough cleaning, and
make some great food (banana bread and apple pie).
On Sunday after the soccer scrimmage, the pie and coffee party, I
went in to L'viv to meet other volunteers and watch the super bowl.
About thirty people showed up, and we worked together to make
everything from 4-layer dip (too bad corn chips don't exist) to spicy
chicken wings. The game started at 1:30am, and thankfully stayed
close enough to keep me awake, with an absolutely amazing ending. I
wished I could have watched that game with Matt, and thinking about
his passion for the Giants kept me amused. I also feel for the
patriot fans, but I gotta congratulate the underdogs.
By the time the game ended, there was only time to sleep two hours
before I had to head back to teach my first class. Getting through my
three classes, first English club meeting and indoor soccer with few
ill effects from sleeplessness gave me new confidence that I am…still
young.
On the on the flip side, my achilles hurts! I need to learn how to
spell that word. The best remedy would be rest, but I tried that
before, and it just came back, so I am going to try to do some other
exercises my dad did after his achilles surgery. Giving up running
and soccer would make me insane. I need something to help me
recuperate after 7A tries to drive me crazy.
Now I need to get to the post office before it closes so I can send
in my claim for reimbursement for Ukrainian tutoring. I really should
study more and take advantage of this great opportunity, but somehow
it always gets bumped by lesson planning, cooking, violin, Newsweek
reading and even soccer watching (I'll have my notes open, but I
always watch the game). Loving the longer days…