Friday, May 23, 2008

Evacuation

is the same word in Ukrainian, so that part of the explanation was easy to understand.  After I got him to slow down, I understood that because the furniture factory a few blocks away was on fire, school was to be evacuated.  I looked out the window, and sure enough, clouds of black smoke billowed up and headed toward the center of town. It didn't make sense to leave school and walk into the smoke like all of the students were doing to get home.  I was pretty appalled because it was acknowledged that it was quite likely that gloo and various unnatural wood products were probably burning.  Wouldn't it be better to keep the students inside rather than let them walk out through the smoke?  The smoke was not coming towards the school, and when I went home, I took the long way all the way up wind of the factory to avoid it.  Scary stuff, yesterday.
 
In other news, one more week of school.  Feeling lazy today and don't really want to go to soccer practice.  I know I'll feel good once I get warmed up.  Fake leather soccer cleats suck.  There's a reason they're so cheep.  Students barely containing their attention.  Summer is so close.  Bad weather outside helps, makes it look more like winter.  I am following the DIII track national championships closely to see how the goats and bee do.  10k seemed to have a rough finish, but I still say well done.  Let's go Goats!