Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Got to be useful

Can students learn from testing?  The answer is debatable, but I am grudgingly going to admit that my students are firming their knowledge by preparing for the tests that I am going to give them.  The trick is telling them what is going to be on the test, and exactly how it is going to be formatted, so that the review process is not overwhelming, but instead a productive and focused revisiting of familiar material.

Time really flies by.  Not every week has seemed to move so fast, but the last 4 or 5 literally vaporized.  One semester down, three to go, I'm going to be an old man before I figure out what I'm doing with my life.  Next semester I will be much better prepared to teach.  Experience is key.  Summer plans are firming, weather is warming, and time is flying. 

Today after I finish giving tests, I'll head up to Червоноград (Chervonohrad) to buy train tickets for my environmental working group meeting in Київ (Kyiv) the week after next.  Really got to figure out how to contribute more to this group but lack of computer really hurts.  Hopefully I'll get a computer this summer and then start contributing more information and resources.  Even planning projects and summer camps is difficult without a computer because they require documents.  Documents live on computers.  Maybe I just need to spend more time in my computer lab at school.  Before class I'm always finishing this or that part of a lesson plan, and after classes, I just want to go outside, or to Ukrainian tutoring, or English club, or Chervonohrad.  Guess I need to start making to do lists and make sure that I stay relatively productive once teaching is over for the summer.  

How do I do a secondary project?  What does my community want/need?  I need to meet the mayor.  She is a retired teacher which should help.  Putting my language skills to the test.