Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who am I

to ask you why my new smaller and not as luxurious apartment costs the same as the giant super furnished twice as big great view one I had before?
Respectfully, let me explain.
As an American, I value honesty, openness and information.
Do I suspect you of asking the same price and then pocketing some on the side. I didn't, until you gave no reason why the price is the same, and refused to give me the phone number of the actual landlord, so all my interactions have to go through you. 
 
You and our school are supposed to provide housing free of charge, and PC will help pay for utilities. PC is not supposed to pay the full rent amount.  Why do you require the teachers I work with to buy gas, water and electricity. Do you really think it makes their life easier to work with me in the classroom? In effect they have to pay to work with me. Why can't you use some of the school's general funds.  Surely $6/month is not too much to ask? Of course what exactly those funds are for and how they are spent is also a mystery.  Why the secrecy? Because nobody else will stand up to you? Because the parents respect a strong leader and prefer order over fairness? I really don't understand the system. If you will tell me, I will believe you. I am a trusting person.
 
I hope you don't get too offended when you read this. It is not meant as a personal affront. It is meant as a cultural clarification to explain why I dare to ask such questions and be so upfront. I would be more comfortable if everything was out in the open.  This school is on the right track. The quality of our students and their achievments show that. I believe that we can achieve even more with an increase in openess, free idea exchange and flexibility. Not only in monetary matters, but in academics as well.  Your young and old Ukrainian teachers have valuable ideas. Are you willing to try new things? Willing to create a two way street?
 
Yes, this letter reflects my immaturity, and yes, I have no idea how things are done here, and I should really mind my own buisness and keep my mouth shut. If only I could...
 
PS, I managed to find out why the price was the same buy asking my host dad, who asked his wife, who asked the you, and the info eventually trickled back down to me. Thank you for aswering that the old apartment was actually much more expensive than we paid, we were just getting a deal because I was an American, and the new apartment we actually had to talk down the price to what we are paying now. Inflation in the housing market since we are so close to Lviv and people who work there can live here and commute. Get ready for Suburbia...