Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hanging with my brothers, and stuff

Germany is nice, although also very expensive. After a few days, Liam had to go back to work, so I hopped on a train to Luzern, Switzerland. Situated on the end of a long lake and surrounded by mountains, everything was quite impressive even though clouds obscured the top of the mountains. I actually wanted to visit Lausanne but I couldn’t find anywhere to stay there, so Luzern it was. I couch surfed and my host was kind enough to lend me his bike for a whole day. Since the cable cars up the mountains were prohibitively expensive, I decided to ride his bike up to a 1500m pass. Unfortunately, I had to ride 24km before the climb even started, so after 6km and 500m vertically up the mountain, when I reached the sign that said the pass was closed due to snow, I was relieved because riding up a road that gains 1300 meters in 15km is more difficult than I had remembered. Of course the freezing weather, lack of clip less pedals and sore but didn’t help. I decided that Switzerland would be great in clear weather, and warm weather as all the water I saw was crystal clear and looked great for swimming, except for the ice. Also there were sailboats all around covered or out of the water for winter, but the wind was steady and strong. My host also introduced me to a traditional Swiss dish of a giant potato pancake with chicken mushroom sauce on top. Delicious. Back to Heidelberg, blue skies and brothers on Sunday, but glad that I got a small taste of Switzerland.