Friday, January 25, 2008

Jan. 23, finally

Week one if classes is under way.  The students are well behaved for the most part, better behaved in the morning of course.  My schedule may be undergoing more changes, for political reasons which my principle asked me not to share.  But everything is good now.  The African nation's soccer cup has prevented me from unpacking my clothes, though I have gotten pretty well moved into my kitchen.   It's amazing how expensive luxury foods are here, and by this I mean anything that is prepared in any way.  Breakfast cereal, cooked/cured meat, fruit, vegetables, anything that is ready to eat costs the same as it does in the US (where as everything else costs 5 times less), which is not bad, except that the salaries here are 10 or more times smaller than the US, which does not help out families where food is a large budget item.   So I can buy a whole lot of grain, potatoes and beans but a week worth of yogurt and fruit wipes out my budget.

Three days of the week it's too dark before class to fit in a run.   So for a month or so I might cut down to 4 runs per week.  3-4 soccer scrimmages/week should be enough to digest 20kg of potatoes.  My finger is still too swollen to play violin, and I haven't found speakers for my ipod, which makes it hard to get my music fix.   The windows are old enough in my apartment to let in quite a draft, accentuated by wind flowing over the pipe where my stove vents creating a negative pressure in the apartment.   So wind flows in through the window and out up over the stove.  It's probably good to get some fresh are in to air out the new furniture and curtains, but I feel bad about the undoubtedly higher gas bill.