Friday, January 25, 2008

Week one complete.

Some scheduling juggling, a few pretty bad lessons, but overall good, and think I will be able to succeed at this teaching thing.   Moving into my apartment has been slowed by constant cooking, cleaning and lesson planning.  I'm not that busy, but I waste alot of time watching soccer and eating.   Cooking has been really enjoyable, and often I choose to make time consuming dishes, just because I can.  I buy some really weird food only to realize that it does not taste good at all, but the exploration is fun.  

            The younger kids are really fun to teach, because they love me.  They suck up language like a sponge.  The older kids are a bid jaded and take a bit more coaxing, but if I come prepared with a good plan and some patience, they normally get it.   I have almost doubled my teaching experience in one week.  I might attempt to make bread this evening, if there is no soccer on tv.   I live so close to Poland that I get polish soccer channels without cable.  I also have cable, but cannot decide if I want to keep paying for it.  

            I have a really nice fold out couch, if anyone wants to visit for any amount of time.  It's possible to live here on about 20 dollars a week.   The temperature has been much warmer than I expected.  This morning it was raining rather than snowing.  The wind whistles around my apartment, way up on the 5 th floor.  The sun comes up a bit earlier every day, but still really rushed to fit a run in on mornings that I teach or observe first period.  

            And that's about all I can think of this moment.  I will be able to keep my jersey number 16 on my new soccer team.  I have gone from worried if I would get to play to worried about if I will get really frustrated because some of the players have way more confidence than skill.  Hungry, got to go buy more food.  Now what to do all weekend?  Maybe I'll unpack my clothes, or embark on an epic multi-town search for dental floss.  I love free time.