Monday, March 17, 2008

March 14

A beautiful sunny morning turned into half rain half snow windstorm as March marches on.  All of my classes seem to be switched around today, sort of a bummer, because it works out that I only have 3 classes to teach, but there is an hour free period in between each one.  Five hours at school for only 3 hours of teaching.  Not having any control over what topic is frustrating, especially when it feels like they are ready to move on, but the curriculum says that one more day needs to be spend teaching continents and countries.  It is too easy for my 7th graders. 

            I am realizing that having a computer and internet at home might actually make me a better teacher.  So many resources are online, and so many opportunities seem to pass me by as I struggle to get 3 hours of painfully slow internet at school each week (most weeks I'm lucky to get 1.5 hours).  Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself to shell out the 2-300 bucks it would cost + monthly internet charge.  Hmm.  I was determined to save my outside money for traveling this summer, and computers are more expensive here, and programmed in Russian?  Guess I need to do more research. 

            Utterly failed to do my Ukrainian homework thanks to an interesting thriller book my mom sent me.  I was planning on cramming it in right after school, but now my schedules all turned around. 

            Did I mention those old West German cleats turned out to be too old?  The rubber was brittle and actually cracked, shattered in fact.  What a bummer of an 80UAH sinkhole.  Need to get some quality cleats I guess, yet another big purchase to plan out around rent payment and cheese consumption (because cheese is more expensive than avocado here).  Time for my last class.  Then will be tutoring, then maybe soccer practice, then maybe back to school for an internet attempt, then more of that book.  Shoot, totally forgot to buy bread this morning.