Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday Tired

First soccer game we lost 3-1.  We played really stupidly.  There is a fair amount of talent on our team, but yesterday we did not play as a team, and the bumpiest muddiest field I have ever seen prevented our higher skill level from doing anything.  It was the watching effect, one person on the ball, everyone else watching.  Then when they had the ball, we were doing the reacting thing, instead of the anticipating thing.  We never tried to just play simple easy passes, mainly because everyone was standing and watching, and there is no way to connect passes if people are not moving and making runs.  Simple two touch soccer would have destroyed that team.  Over-aggression also took its toll, especially when the random bumps in the field made it so the opponent on the ball did not even have to make a move, the ball bounced and swerved all around on its own.  Two of their goals were bad hops in the penalty area which just ended up in some unfortunate position, and the third was an amazing long range shot.

I played poorly also, missing a wide open volley from about 15 yards out, just had to side foot it in to either side of the keeper, but didn't keep it under the crossbar.  I played the whole game at left wing, definitely putting in some miles.  I overcompensated physically, my opponents were stronger muscle wise, but I still have to play the ball.  I had quite a few silly fouls, but no cards.  Think I made some enemies.  Got to remember I'm the first American they have seen, and I need to avoid getting a reputation as a dirty player, because I'm sure somebody will not be afraid to take me out, probably some dude who works in a coal mine, and I don't want to go back to any Ukrainian hospital.  I don't want to make excuses but here are just some more things I would like to change.  We didn't have any subs, but even so, half the team had a cigarette at half time.  The bus arrived at the field exactly 5 min before kickoff.  My missed volley in the 5th minute was my third touch on the ball, all day.  I didn't stretch until half time.  The field had gofer holes, goose poop, and was not as flat as your average potato field.  I don't have the language skills to express how we need to adapt tactically on the field, simple passes, run to get open, one more pass and other things I thought I was said did not do anything.

On Saturday I attended an info session on how to write grants and organize aids/hiv education projects.  Pretty psyched to get something going, but I have to sell in to some people in my schools and get community support.  PEPFAR or Presidents Emergeny Plan for Aids Relief provides quite a bit of money for education.  Of course none of the money can be spend to provide condoms.  Right now waiting for some internet where I can hopefully look up some statistics that I can print out in Ukrainian to help convince people in my school that such an education campaign is necessary.  This is what I have so far discovered, the below according to Ukraine Aids Alliance.

According to the recent statistical data, almost 18,000 new HIV infections were found in Ukraine in the year 2007 alone. In addition, 4,573 persons were diagnosed with AIDS, including 115 children. 2,507 persons died of AIDS (including 23 children).

On January 1, 2008 there were 81,741 persons living with HIV who were officially registered. Experts estimate, however, that up to 10 times more Ukrainians may be living with HIV and not know it. All of this gives Ukraine the sad 1st place on the growth rate of HIV in Europe.

A lack of access to accurate information and services combined with the stigma and discrimination associated with HIV/AIDS in Ukraine places young people at heightened risk for HIV infection.