Friday, February 27, 2009

Feb. 18th

All moved in. Amazing how much stuff I've accumulated in 6 months, mainly books that I haven't had time to read yet. Highlights so far.

 

Grandma Maria stating outright that drinking cold water will give me a sore throat.

Amazing home cooked food that appears magically in large quantities at all hours of the day.

Morning poops where the wind actually comes up through the hole in the seat. The wind is generally 18F.

A really cool 8th grade host sister who really doesn't live with her grandma, but has made an effort to visit every evening. She knows I can speak Ukrainian, but still uses English to practice and improve her language skills. She plays piano on the wonderfully out of tune stand up in the living room. She is amazingly polite and thoughtful for an 8th grader.

First few bucket baths. I literally stand or squat in a washing basin and try to get wet while keeping my room dry. I stay as close to the heater as possible.

 

This week is pretty hectic as I try to unpack, really get into teaching 3rd and 4th grades, and start buying stuff for the official HIV prevention training next week. I'm also trying to throw myself a little birthday party, but I keep forgetting to invite people. Could be really small. Just me.

 

So now I'm sitting in my office feeling at 17:36 wishing I had put off planning to go to Ukrainian tutoring, but realizing it's too late to go now anyway. I also just forgot I was in Ukraine, because sitting in my office typing on a computer with that tired feeling that comes at the end of a work day feels no different no matter what country you're in (of course I'm sitting near my heater and wearing a sweater and wool hat). I might have less to post about if I were in the US. So, now to plan a 9th grade lesson on flags, 8th grade on passive voice and great Britain, 6th grade on holiday plans and 7th grade…darn I lost the planning for that class, I'll have to find the teacher in the morning plan the lesson during my free period. The  way my schedule is now, I teach 4 lessons Monday through Thursday, and have reserved Friday to work on my PEPFAR project (which will include traveling to other schools with my peer educator group).

 

Now, why are flags interesting?