Monday, July 21, 2008

Budapest and Mezokovesd

is completely modern. It was also really hot. Cool buildings, museums, castles, and baths.  Those pesky turks who ruled here for 700 years left public baths in almost every city.  It is a cool shade of culture and empires and conqering history.  The events and sights seen in Budapest are too numerous to mention.  The exchange rate was interesting and very confusing in math.  I bought some new clothes with the fashion advice of Claire and Nina (the first clothes I had bought myself since high school) and was glad not to know exactly how much they cost.  I also accidently bought a cd when we were dancing on the grass at an outdoor impromptu band performance because I though I was giving a 100 bill, not a 1000 bill.  It was dark, ok, and it's really only about $10, I think...
That same night/morning, Claire and Nina finally got a taxi to take them to the airport (though I think again they used their exchange rate to profit on us americans) and I took the train out to Zita's town in Eastern Hungary.  Her town is called Mezokovesd and is as hard to say as it is to spell.  It was a completely different world out in the agricultural village town system than Budapest, but still what seemed to me to be a very prosperous country.  Zita and her family were great hosts, showing me the whole town and surounding countryside, and nieghboring castle town and going to more Turkish baths (we couldn't swim because we didn't have swim caps) and local wine and teaching me how to play tennis and yeah, one packed awesome 24 hours.