Monday, July 21, 2008

The highest point in the Carpathians

High Tatras national park looks almost like the Tetons.  The trails are well marked and well populated with tourists from all over europe.  There is a system of huts to sleep in much like the AT in america.  We only went for a day hike and didn't summit anything mainly because we packed way to little water.  The coolest part was as soon as we got off the bus in a little town called Nova Lesna at the base of the mountains, these kids playing in the park invited us back to their house where they had a few extra bedrooms for travellers just like us.  It was very affordable, and I got so excited that I accepted the grandmother's dinner offer also, much to the chagrin of my fellow travellers who were not nearly so accustomed to a diet consisting of cabbage and meat.  I thought the food was fine, but it was by no means subtle.  Ok, I think this brings my blog up to sometime in late June.  What did we do next???